Barely a week passes without the media breathlessly reporting a study that reveals how much a particular activity is 'costing the country'.
So for those who may have missed some of these stories, here's a quick run-down of some recent shock revelations, listed in no particular order.
By my calculation, there's over £160 billion being lost on these items alone, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Lord knows how big the British economy could really be.
1. Yob culture costs British business £9.8 billion a year - link
2. Black market tobacco costs Britain £2 billion a year in lost taxes - link
3. Alcohol abuse costs Britain £22 billion a year - link
4. Problem families cost Britain £9 billion a year - link
5. Inadequate aviation links may be costing Britain £1.2 billion a year - link
6. Depression costs the country £11 billion a year - link
7. Scrap metal thefts are costing the country £1 billion a year - link
8. ID fraud is costing Britain £1.7 billion a year - link
9. Post-Christmas blues cost British firms £93 billion a year - link
10. Failure to rehabilitate ex-offenders costs the country £10 billion a year - link