Monday 30 September 2013

The Bridget Jones Test

With the imminent arrival of a new Bridget Jones novel, some of the papers have been dusting off the old David Willetts comment about how the Tories needed to pass the Bridget Jones test to prove that they'd decontaminated the brand.

Which seems like an ideal opportunity to mention a piece I wrote last week for the Waterstones blog about how deeply loathed the Tories were in the 1990s world depicted by Helen Fielding and Nick Hornby.

There was a time, when David Cameron was still leader of the opposition, when he could probably have won Bridget over. Now, I doubt it somehow. We seem a long way from the days of hug-a-husky.

There's also a piece by me that I don't think I've mentioned before in the Yorkshire Post, intended to mark the 21st anniversary of Black Wednesday.

No comments: